Kohl Rabi & Ham Bake
If you haven't tried kohl rabi, which tastes like a mild, sweet turnip, this gratin is an excellent place to start
||Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35-40 mins
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 kohl rabi, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces thick ham, diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup double cream
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Pinch of mace (can substitute ground nutmeg)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the diced kohl rabi and gently cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk, and whisk in the double cream, flour, mace, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Place half of the cooked kohl rabi on the bottom of an oven-proof casserole dish.
- Layer on the diced ham and parsley. Top with the remaining kohl rabi.
- Pour the sauce ingredients over the kohl rabi and ham.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve immediately..
||Skill level: Easy