Simply delicious pie that you just have to try!
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy
What you will need
- 4 chicken thighs
- 8 peppercorns
- ½ onion
- 1 bay leaf
- Milk (enough to cover chicken pieces)
- 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, cut into postage stamp-size pieces
- 30g/1oz butter
- 2 leeks, sliced into ½ inch discs
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 x 375g/13oz packs of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- parmesan, grated, for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- In a saucepan add the chicken, peppercorns, onion and bay leaf. Cover with milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon in the butter. Add the sliced leeks and allow to soften.
- When the chicken is cooked remove from the milk and flake the chicken meat into the pan with the leaks, discarding the bones.
- Add the flour and cook through for two minutes before adding the milk through a sieve to remove peppercorns and bay leaf. Add the Dijon mustard. Stir constantly to make a thick sauce.
- Roll out the sheets of puff pastry to a rectangular shape at a pound coin thickness. Lay the filling on one sheet and then cover with the second sheet and crimp the edges.
- Brush the pie with a beaten egg and sprinkle the grated Parmesan over the top. Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes. Serve with mix veg and boiled new potatoes with maybe chive butter mmmm