Fagiolini in Umido
This is a great dish to use some of the abundant Green Beans that should be available in the summer months Fagiolini in Umido is an Italian dside dish simply means Green Beans cooked in Tomato.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 65-90 mins
|Skill level: Easy
3 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
1kg (2lb) frsh ripe tomatoes or 800g tinned chooped tomatoes, with their juice
- 600g (1lb 5oz) green beans washed and trimmed
- Small handful of chopped parsley
- 10 basil leaves, roughlt torn.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and saute over a low heat utill they are lightly golden.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the green beans, parsley, basil and about 500ml of hot water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to a minimum, cover saucepan and simmer till the beans are very tender, usually between 60 & 90 minutes.
- The tomato sauce shold be thickened by this time.
- Take care to stir from time to time or the sauce and beans will stick to the bottom of the saucepan and burn.
- If sauce is too thick add a little more water
- Can be served hot or at room temperature.