Rhubarb & custard cocktail
An elegant vodka-based drink that'll wow your guests - it's made with creamy advocaat iqueur and homemade fruit syrup
||Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
For the rhubarb syrup
- 85g caster sugar
- 300g chopped rhubarb
For the cocktail
- 100ml vodka
- 100ml rhubarb syrup (see above)
- 1 length rhubarb
- 30ml advocaat
- 75ml lemonade
- To make the rhubarb syrup, put the caster sugar in a saucepan with 75ml water.
- Heat very gently, so the sugar disappears but the water doesn’t bubble.
- Tip in the chopped rhubarb, cover with a tight-fitting lid and increase the heat a little so it begins to boil.
- Simmer, covered, for about 5 mins until the rhubarb is very tender but not disintegrating.
- Turn off the heat, and tip the pan’s contents into a fine sieve over a bowl.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently squeeze the rhubarb so that you get all the juices, but no pulp.
- Tip back into the pan and boil rapidly for a few mins until just syrupy.
- Pour into a jug – you should have about 125ml. Leave to cool completely. Any leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Chill 4 cocktail glasses with ice or in your freezer.
- Shake the vodka and 100ml of the rhubarb syrup together with ice until mixed and chilled down.
- Make small shreds of rhubarb using a vegetable peeler and place into iced water – this will make them curl up.
- In a separate jug, whisk together the advocaat and lemonade with more ice to lighten.
- Divide the vodka and rhubarb mixture between the glasses, straining through a small sieve to catch the ice.
- Carefully pour 25ml of your advocaat mixture into each glass over an upsidedown spoon (the mixture should float on the surface of the vodka syrup mixture).
- Drain the rhubarb shreds well and use to garnish your cocktails..
||Skill level: Easy